4.07.2010

Happy Things~Guest: Simple Lovely

So, I usually have my Happy Things guest on Friday, but last week we went to Las Vegas for Spring break and I was busy entertaining my little ones.  The wait was worth it though! Because today my guest is Joslyn from Simple Lovely.  I'm not meaning to be too cheesy, but I'm going to say I love her blog because it is...Simple & Lovely.  Joslyn and I briefly met at the ALT Summit conference in January and she is quite a lovely person indeed.  It was great getting to know her better and I'm sure you'll just love her too (that is if you already don't)! 

What do you want to be when you grow up?
I used to think there was one (elusive) perfect job for me...but now I think it might be better to have sort of an agglomeration of interesting jobs that feed different parts of my personality.  I have a day job running the Web site for a Global software company, + I do some freelance writing on the side and have my personal Simple Lovely and food Raising Foodies blogs. It’s a good mix of the things I enjoy and seems pretty perfect for me right now.  I also think there’s something pretty powerful about embracing where you are in life rather than always searching for the next thing.

 Product you can't live without? 
My all time favorite product is Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer…but I’m also a huge fan of Kiehls Crème de Corps.  
Favorite place you've been?
Without a doubt, Big Sur…that entire stretch of the California coastline is pure magic.
Dream vacation?
It’s not exotic, but I’m dying to go on a family trip to Paris.  My oldest daughter is a total Francophile (truth be told I am too), and I’m so excited to experience that city with her.  I’m hoping to go in the next few years when my youngest is a smidge older…
 Favorite Restaurant/Food?
This tends to change based on my mood and the season, but I’m always up for great Thai food…especially green curry and fresh rolls.
Favorite TV show?
I don’t watch a lot of TV, but I’m addicted to 30 Rock and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart 
Favorite movie?
I love all of Wes Anderson’s movies.  The Royal Tenenbaums is at the tippy top of my list.
Favorite treat?
Dark chocolate gelato…
How do you like to relax or what is a hobby you enjoy?
I love to read (I always have a few books going at one time), but with the girlies it’s hard to find time, so I’m also a big fan of family bike rides. 
            5 LOVES:
1.       Family road trips (I get loads of reading done in the car, so it kills two birds with one stone)
2.       Riding my bike
3.       Taking the girlies to the museum
4.       Alice Waters – love her philosophy and the impact she’s made on the way we think about food
5.       Great music – currently Vampire Weekend, Sondre Lerche and Carla Bruni are on heavy rotation 

5 HATES: 
1.       Mean people
2.       Gossip
3.       Bad food (life’s too short to eat bad food…especially processed food.  I’m specifically thinking about  Twinkies)
4.       Texas summers -- I’ve lived here for over a decade, and I’m still not used to the crazy heat of August.
5.       Purposeful Ignorance – I love that we live in a country where everyone can have their own opinions and beliefs, but I think life is so much richer and more interesting when we take the time to find out what other people are about. 

Joslyn, thanks for being a guest.  We share many "favorite things."  I am a huge fan of Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, love 30 Rock and Vampire Weekend, and Thai Food is my all time fave.  I'm so with you on bad food.  Why eat junk when there is such amazing yumminess out there? Oh, and the gelato thing...I could savor any flavor, as long as it is real gelato. ( I am now doing the Italian kiss of fingers and sending off the love)

5 comments:

  1. I just adore her. She was one of my first reads. Very inspiring mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Joslyn, too (and I would even if she weren't my cousin).

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for having me Alisa! so fun ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She hit the nail on the head with the ignorance statement. And my 1st job was working at a Thai place that my dad's friend owned. Everything was authentic and so delicious! Right down to the teas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so much fun to hear Joslyn's list of favs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails