3.10.2010

DIY Cake Stand


I've seen darling homemade Cake stands around at different boutiques and decided to try and make a few myself.  I used some plates, glasses, and candle holders that I already had. I then found some other darling and cheap plates at Ikea and Peir 1 Imports, and glasses at Target.  I then played around mixing and matching until I got the look I wanted:  different levels and sizes.


After you decide what top and base you are going to use, wash, dry, and apply a super strong adhesive that will work with with glass and ceramic.  I know some use Liquid Nails Adhesive but I tried Loctite Epoxy.  I'm sure there are many others that would work.

Apply a thin layer of glue and put in center of plate.  I put heavy books on while it dried just to make sure it would be sturdy.  I would advise to be careful how you wash this and obviously don't use the dishwasher.

Next, add a yummy cake, cookies, fruit, or super cute cupcakes!  I can't wait to be more creative and try new plates, cups, glasses, and bowls!  Hope you have fun and if you do this, I'd love to see what you come up with!  Here is another one I did last night.... just a fun, bright one for summer.
 

8 comments:

  1. We did this for an enrichment activity and it's super easy! Love the way yours turned out and I love your different ideas. A girl just can't have too many cake stands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVING this idea. Yours are fab - can't wait to see what I can find to put this idea to great use - thanks for Sharing!

    Visiting you from SITS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey SITS-tah. This looks amazingly easy! I love it cuz you can make them for all occasions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my girlfriends and i were just talking today about how we want to do this! we are planning to do it for our next craft night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO CUTE! YOU ARE SO CREATIVE! I LOVE YOUR BLOG! HERE IS THE WEB ADDRESS TO THE PLACE I BOUGHT THOSE SLIPPERS FOR MY BABY GIRL,
    http://www.padraigcottage.com/
    IT WAS GOOD TO SEE YOU THE OTHER DAY! I LOVE THE STELLA & DOT STUFF! I WILL HAVE TO ORDER SOMETHING FROM YOU SOON!
    -LEAH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Thank you for sharing with me. I'm really inspired to give it a try. Just have to find the right plates for it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails