5.05.2010

Green Smoothies

I try to make green smoothies a couple of times a week.  I feel like it is a good way to make sure that the entire family is getting the greens and veggies we need.  The surprising part is, my children LOVE these smoothies, ask all the time for the smoothies, and help make them.  Now, the catch is getting them hooked, and then after they are hooked, they are excited to learn about the healthy benefit!  At least for now, my children get excited to learn about the nutrition they are getting from each leaf, fruit and vegetable.  Plus, each time we make it we get a different color of drink, and the kids think that is fun to play with the colors.

I have been asked by a handful of people this last week what I include in my smoothies, so I decided to just do a post on this topic.  Now, this is what me and my family do, but if you want more recipes and or more information on nutrition and Green Smoothies, you can check out my sister-in-law's site Green Smoothie Girl for the mother-load of info.



*This is different almost every day we make this recipe.  I use what I have and experiment a little.
*Make it taste yummy for kids by adding  more fruit in the beginning, and then when they are used to having the smoothies you can add more veggies.



GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE

Add to blender :
1-2 Cups Water ( add more at the end to get consistency that you like)
hand full of ice ( I use less if I am using more frozen berries)
Puree with these items:

Ideas:

about a 1/4 whole lemon, ( I include the peel since it has nutritional value). 
1-2 Tablespoons ground Flax seed (amazing nutrition, make sure it is ground, and love the texture and nut-ish taste it adds)

Main greens I usually use:
1-2 hand full of  Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard, or other Chards, Collards,
cabbage, celery, avocado, beet greens, arugula or other lettuce.

Gradually add and puree the fruit with the greens until smooth:
1-2 bananas to add a creamy texture and sweetness
1-2 cups frozen mixed berries
other fruit to taste: strawberries, or any other berries on hand, pears and peaches, apples, oranges, apricots, mango, pineapple, cantaloupe (with seeds—very high in antioxidants!)....whatever you like!


I don't sweeten until the end because I want to see how much it will actually need. 
I like to use 1- 2 Tablespoons of Agave syrup 
or about 1 tsp. stevia (herbal sweetener)
you could also use honey or other natural sweeteners.

sometimes I like to add a little yogurt or even protein powder.

I like to make extra and save in the frig for the next day.  I'll put it back in the blender to mix it up good, or just shake it good. Just experiment and find what works for you and your family. 

Here is to more health and happiness!
ENJOY!


6 comments:

  1. Yum! I will definately be branching out of my banana-blueberry smoothie rut! Thanks!

    Stopping by from SITS
    http://mommamaybemad.blogspot.com/2010/05/home-sick.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. stopping by from SITS
    this looks GREAT! going to go dig out my smoothie machine tomorrow :)
    http://cupcake-mommie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will need to try this! I am trying to get the toddler to eat veggies and he hates them! Where do you get your ground flax seeds? Is everything else just bought at a grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been able to find all these products at the grocery store or whole foods store. Costco also has ground flax seed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Alisa!! I finally got me some Agave syrup.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails